Getting the reconstitution maths right for beginners
Posted by fasted_scientist in Beginner Questions - 1 points, 0 comments.
I see a lot of people jumping straight into protocols without actually understanding how the maths works for the vials. Ngl it can be a bit daunting when you first look at a vial of powder and a bottle of bacteriostatic water and try to figure out where the actual dose is on the syringe.
I reckon most beginners just copy a dose they saw online without calculating their own volume, which is a recipe for a mess. For me, I always found it easier to keep the math simple so I do not end up overshooting. If you are using a standard insulin syringe, the ticks mean different things depending on if it is a 0.5ml or 1ml syringe.
I am curious if anyone has a specific way they double check their math before they pin. I usually write it down on a bit of paper first because it is too easy to get confused when you are nervous. Does anyone else do this or do you just eyeball it once you get the hang of it? I would rather be a bit slow and right than fast and wrong.
Community discussion - research and educational context only. Not medical advice.