ResearchSafe

Need a hand with basic math for reconstitution

Posted by zone2_nof1 in Beginner Questions - 2 points, 0 comments.

Gday everyone. I am pretty new to this and reckon I am overthinking the mixing part. I have some stuff that comes as a lyophilized powder but the instructions are a bit vague on the actual volume of bacteriostatic water to add.

I have seen people say it does not REALLY matter how much water you use as long as you know the concentration, but that feels like a recipe for a mistake when I am staring at a tiny insulin syringe. If I add 2ml to a 5mg vial, then 10 units on the syringe is what, 250mcg?

Anecdotally, I have heard some people prefer more water so they can be more precise with smaller doses, but then you have to inject more liquid. I am just keen to make sure I am not accidentally pinning double what I intended because I messed up the basic chemistry.

Does anyone have a simple way to track their math or a template they use so they do not have to do mental arithmetic every single time they prep a dose?

Community discussion - research and educational context only. Not medical advice.